Thursday, October 25, 2012

Le Sands

Came across this at the end of October 2012 and the school's not yet in operation. They haven't decided on the date to have the open day.
My optimism is wearing thin.

Brighten Le Sands. 

This post is gonna be a long one (when I'm able to compose this properly,) I promise.
However, to cut the long story short, I'm sold on a few things but I am not convinced that this is THE place.
Not yet.

Nice work on overloading the place with new toys and deco. Everything is everywhere. The ceilings, the walls, the shelves, every nook and corner. I have no idea why they fill up the space with stuff.
Maybe to make an impression?
I wonder how long can the novelty of the 'prettiness' last.

We are often so suckered into all things pretty and new, aren't we?
Hoping more parents will be more objective in picking a childcare centre and ask, do ask the essential questions. Check to see if the centre is well located and child-proofed.
Meet with the teachers and check them out.
Oh yeah... where are the teachers on the Open Day that's been going on for weeks in October, November and coming to December 2012?

Do you intend to have your child be in a place until it's time to move on to primary school?
Would you make do with a place because your child will be there for half day only?

If a school is more interested to have your child there for half day programs, what does that say?
Could it mean that they wanna make a quick buck out of the parents and couldn't care less about the children?
Not sure.

If the principal or whoever that is responsible to do the marketing doesn't return your calls and text messages and say they're busy or hand the phone to someone else to answer... what does this say?
Could the possibility of having the answer "I'm busy" when you're not informed should a child fall sick or any mishaps like that happen?

If they're not keen on showing you the books and explain about the syllabus to the parents, also keep things vague like saying "when the kids turn 6, we'll streamline them to see who's going to international schools, who's going to public schools....." I wonder.... Is that convincing enough to the parents?

If and when asked for the fee structure and was told they don't have the info at hand and was like guessing, "Erm.. I think it's 280 for half day and I think it's another 400 until 6:30pm..."
with no explanation of what the terms of payments like not even when asked about it, I dunno...
I wonder why bother putting up a bad act like something is up their sleeves.

No field trips for the 3 year olds. That is so sad.
The response about this was that they are too young to go out, too young to understand anything.
Too young to enjoy field trips. Too young to have fast food.
It's too hot out, they travel by buses.
If the 3 year olds are too much to handle on a once in a blue moon field trips, I wonder... how can they even handle a class on a usual school day.
If fast food is not good for the 3 year olds, are they good for the older ones?
If they think 3 year olds are too young to learn and absorb or learn out of the classroom, I wonder why they even have 'classes or programs' for them at all. They should set up tuition centres for older children who are in primary school and forget about having younger children at all.

I wonder too much about this place and I shall stop wondering. 

Here's another one that boasts about Montessori and talk like a salesperson except this one behaved like they had something to hide and is so afraid that competitors walk in to steal their ideas.
I totally agree when people say this - If you're good, you're good. Let your work speak for itself.
And if there's nothing to hide, if you are earning an honest living, who the heck cares if you have competitors visiting?? I'm also saying this because I was in fact taking photos for my friend who couldn't view the place at that time. That guy, Ting and his mother insisted I was a competitor it was so, so awkward. What can I tell the old lady? Tell her off? I mean, seriously. And then I was rushed through it all and left waiting for a long time when another parent came after I got there. So I got interrupted. There he went, "Anything else? Anything?"..... "What else do you wanna know?"
And I tried my best to keep my cool and tried to remember to ask about the essential questions as I was being rushed ie transportation, holidays, extended hours, who are the teachers, etc.
So I said that he was really rushing me and Ting said without hesitance that he has a dinner to attend.
I said maybe he could call me when he can so that I can gather my thoughts and he can spare me more information.

And he was reluctant to show me the entire place. Sour faced all the way from the living room to the first floor and to the kitchen, library corner and back.
Hello?
Maybe not everyone cares about checking a place out on a whole but some people actually do.
I have already made time to go there for a visit.... on foot!
Ting actually said there's nothing for me to see upstairs. I kid you not.
I said, "Looks like the renovations are done nicely" and he said, "It's OK lah, nothing so special. To me it's just another kindy."

I asked at least 2 times about the routine and schedule for the 3 yo class.
Nothing specific was told to me except, upon arrival of the kids, the teachers bring them in and they have circle time, assembly. Then snacks are given at about 9:30am, so he said feed your child breakfast before leaving for school. He said, "If your child can tahan until 9:30 then OK lah."
The only time all the kids mingle together is during assembly time which is in the living room.
There was no clear answer when I asked how often do the kids get to be out to play.

Oh yeah... but of course they haven't gotten the full licenses and permits to run the school. 

Stand proud, Le Sands. Stand proud.
Maybe I'll be more sold when you're ready to be professional and by that I also mean when Ting is able to humble himself and apologize. Then maybe, just maybe I'll change my mind and give this place a chance.



15 comments:

  1. Dear Chuff,
    I sent my kid here and he was not happy. Very unhappy. When I picked him in the evening, he had a huge bump, blue greenish bump, on his forehead without any information from them.

    I called up and asked, the tea lady said she knew nothing. But will get teacher or the principal to call back. Indeed, they both returned my call. 1) Teacher said sorry she was half day MC. So she did not know what was happening. 2) Ting said too professionallythat kids havingbumps here and there is very usual. And commented my son is too young. At that tme my son was 19mo and his feet was not stable yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joanne,
      Sorry that happened to your son.
      I'm grateful to you for spending the time to share your personal experiences here. I hope for more readers to do the same so we can all pitch in.
      Ting and all the schools shouldn't take things like this, accident or not, lightly. Do they have like a daily report book to be brought home for a two-way communication? Is your son still attending Le Sands in this point in time?

      Delete
    2. Dear Chuff,
      Thanks for your reply. I have more to share, sorry, that day half way typing, got to attend to my son. Ting further said that as his feet/ footing is not stable yet, they are not taking him. He made comparisons to other kids who have better footing and of course, older than my son!
      Anyway, let bygone be bygones... And seriously, I don't like their attitude at all. I can be understanding that kids are "clumsy" and bumps here and there are bound to occur and happen, but it's their way of handling and explaining the situation to me seems to be so nonchalant and without any concern to the situation. Nt sure if they have any two-way communication books. My son was there for a 3-days trial and he was "judged" as footing unstable on day 1. Ting directly informed me that my son is not suitable to be there due to this reason. Hence, no day 2 or 3 trials takes place.
      Lately, I bumped into another parent whom I met in that 1-day trial and noticed that her daughter no longer attending her kindie classes at Le Sands anymore too as her "uniform" no longer from Le Sands'.
      Time proves continuity of businesses and services...

      Delete
  2. Dear Joanne,

    I sent my kid there too. There was one day, a girl bite my daughter. The teacher called up and told me the whole incident that the 2 girls were fighting over a toy or something. The other girl got too upset and bite my girl. And the teacher apologise and called up the girl's parents and relate the incident to them. The teacher did make the two of them apologise to each other.

    The next day, my girl got some cakes & cookies from the other little girl.

    Le Sands could have be more professional in your son's case.

    Are you still sending him there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm happy that you dropped by and it's so important to hear all these feedbacks so it's a learning for all the other parents.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi, thanks for dropping by and i am so sorry to hear that you're not happy with the place. it's hard to find a school that is really genuine in caring and teaching the children. what are you gonna do? look into other schools, if you are uncomfortable with le sands, maybe?

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know you guys are happier! Which school did you transfer to?

      Delete
  5. Hi Chuff,
    Just coincidentally bumped into yr blogspot. As a kindergarten operator, I fully agree that u said, if we are good, no need to worry other people copy our idea, because the new idea will keep coming, even the old ones can be reused with new touch. Sorry for your unpleasant experience.
    I experienced few competitor came to my place pretend as parents. Of course these type never bring kids, and their questions were different with normal average honest parents. Still, I am not offended to show all my place front to back, down going up then toilet n kitchen. Honest earn a living, nothing to hide. Copy cat are of course not welcomed, but it is fine if they happy to dig my left over. I my self, also do search n research from internet to support my thoughts n Idea. Thank you for your post. It is good to hear parent point of view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. times have changed. there are more ways than one to carry out a research and resources are aplenty including a blog like this one.

      the first impression says a lot.
      as a parent, the first impressions and also the subsequent ones after do not guarantee perfection. the management can say some things at first and then the process and procedure can be entirely different for reasons such as a change in management, change in processes. tough.

      Delete
  6. Hi Chuff,

    I came across your blog as I was looking for the link to Brighten le Sands to send to a friend. I am currently sending my son here, and he has been in le Sands for the last 2 years (he's now 4). I have to say this is one of the best kindy I have come across.

    They allow a lot of learn through play time, and children are treated with respect (things are explained to them and a lot of individual time is given to children to help them adapt and develop in their different area of interest). The kids here are not afraid to speak up, and are highly articulate in voicing their thoughts. I constantly get asked where my son go to school- and I have to say that he's not exclusive. Almost all the kids in his class is highly articulate and mature.

    I think for a school with a range of aged kids, you may find that the younger ones generally may have problem fitting in especially in the beginning, either because they have been home with their family very long and feels lonely in a new environment ,or sometimes because the older kids tends to run around and overwhelm the smaller ones. My son generally likes children and interacts very well with the new kids (the non crying ones according to him), but there are other kids who do not like smaller kids as well, and that will influence the interaction the children have with each other.

    Anyway, am dreading the day my son leaves this place. It is not easy to find a place that can provide a well rounded education while encouraging the students to enjoy learning. My son love this place so much, he gets depressed during school holidays. Hahah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Eleen, can you provide me the address of the kindie? i would like to visit over the kindie and i tried googled but found no result. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe le sand is one of the best kinder garden around taman desa. My girl is now 5 year old. she has joined two years ago. She really enjoy going there everyday. That solves of a lot of our problem.
    The teachers are very friendly and helpful. Very approachable. The teachers are "nice" to the kids too. I have yet to hear any "abusive" or violent one yet.

    Parents like us are always looking for perfect place for our kids to learn and grow. It is inevitable accidents do happen. My kid does return with bruises etc from fall or knocks. She get that at home too. No big deal. She does enjoy learning and interacting with all her friends. She gives us "reporting" of what she did in school.
    So, I am aware of the "happening" in school.

    i believe Le sand taman desa is a decent place for kid to learn and grow. How fortunate kids are today as compared with our generations.

    Parents should not be over protective of your kids. Let them rough it up themselves. in that way, they can grow.

    good lucks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our daughter joined Brighten Le Sands about a year ago. She's now 4+ and is doing well. So far, we find the teachers and staff genuinely caring and responsible. She is happy, has made friends and learning. As my husband and I work full time, our daughter stays on for childcare as well.

    In light of all the negative reviews, I hope this gives some reassurance to parents that there are good child care centers out there which do not necessarily cost an arm and a leg.

    ReplyDelete