Thursday, March 1, 2012

Bright Horizon, Taman Desa

I have had 3 visits to Bright Horizon over a spand of 2 months. I had a good feeling about this place the first time I was there. It's ...

- Clean
- Tidy
- Tina, the supervisor was wonderful to deal with.
- The supervisor didn't have a problem with me taking photos of their premise.
- The monthly fee is reasonable with RM650 a month for the 15mos-3yo class.
- The food they serve the children seemed simple enough with apples and bananas too.
But not ideal for muslims as they use pork based broth in the porridge.
- The children are required to drink a lot of water in school.
- There were boxes of montessori toys (kept neatly) on the shelf.
- One teacher + 1 helper in each class.
- SebaMed body wash,  J & J shampoo.
- Weekly change of clothes are to be put into a box provided. Dirty laundry will be handed to the parents daily in a reusable bag (brought by the parents).

So why don't I place my child in this school then, right?

On my 3rd visit, which I decided to go sort of uninformed, a lady who later I was told by Tina is the founder and the principal reluctantly opened the front gate for me. I had my tot with me. Ms. Wong, had to be one of the more harsh people I have met.

Wong: Yes?

Me: Hi, I'm here to see Tina. I called her earlier.

Wong: Who are you?

Me: I'm here to enroll my child to the school and I had earlier talked to her about transportation arrangement. I'd like to see her to talk to her about it.

Wong: Yah, you talked to her, so why are you here?

Me: Can you please at least let me in to the porch? It's really hot and my son's been out here with me for so long already.

Wong let me in reluctantly and ....

Wong: So you come for what? You came before what?

Me: Excuse me? ........ The other times I came, it was too late to check out the class and the other time, Tina was busy so we didn't get to discuss things properly. You really seem to have a problem with us being here. Do you wanna tell me what is it and if you are so upset with us being here now, I can leave. Just tell Tina to call me.

Wong: The class teacher is not here. She's on....

Me: Maternity leave, yes and will be back next week. Yes, Tina told me about it. 

Wong called for Tina and then I proceeded to put my kid to the classroom and tried to focus on my objectives on being there. I had also wanted to see how the other kids are with my boy and vice versa.

I asked Tina who was that woman and why was she being so rude. I dunno what that Wong wanted to project herself or the school to be by behaving like a total bitch. To make me feel welcomed or to intimidate me? Tina said she's not sure what happened between the both of us but she vouched that Wong is usually OK. Then in the classroom, while the kids were working on coloring and tracing numbers, Wong got in again and said to me "This is why I don't want you to be here..."

Me: Sorry, I'm not getting you.

Wong: This is my daughter (pointed at a 3yo Isabel) and she will look for me and want me if she see me.

Me: So how is this my problem?

Wong walked out of the room and then Tina tended to me. She apologized to me and I said, it's OK. I looked around and asked Tina where are the books for the children and when do they actually get a chance to utilize the montessori toys. She took a couple of very well kept board books off the shelf and showed them to me. And then I thought, if the books are well used, won't they also look umm well used? And then I observed my boy in the class and realized also that one of the things that I didn't like about this place was the small classroom. Some may not have an issue with this. The thing is, my kid roams a lot and he's at the age where he's exploring the surroundings a lot more.

I told Tina later that if the principal can be so difficult with me, I wonder what she's like with the children. Although it's a corner lot with a compound, they don't have a yard. They have a big slide-monkey bar combo and a few Step 2 and 3 rocker and trikes out in the porch.
I asked again if they speak mostly in Chinese language with the children and Tina said they usually speak to the children in English. Again, not that I have a problem with that bit unless I see that the teachers speak lousy English. Which, they do.

My other concern was the sleeping arrangement.  All the children, all 25 or 30 of them sleep on a Dwinguler sorta mat in one room. It's not mean until you see how small that room is for that many children. Apparently, there will be 1 teacher and a helper during sleep time with the kids. Please, someone tell me if I'm overreacting about this matter coz I'm so close to report about this to the Kebajikan. On my last visit, Tina had very quickly told me that they plan to have 2 rooms for the kids to sleep in and the room will be swept and mopped everyday before sleep time.

I will upload the photos here as soon as I can.

23 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting your findings here. Truly appreciate your feedback. Haven't really finish reading all up but which did you choose at the end? My girl is now 20 mo and we are looking for one. Sigh, so hard to find a good one. I am a ftwm and it's not easier with this picking up by 630 pm without extra charges if overshot. Double sigh... Anyways, just to drop by to say thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Random Ramblings, thanks for dropping by. I have not moved my toddler to a new place and I've stopped the mad search.
      Too time consuming (I'm working too), stressful and depressing.
      Wishing for less work and more time in order to update the blog.

      Who is currently taking care of your daughter?

      Delete
  2. My girl is now in a centre but it is closing down soon due to some personal and health issues of the owner (long story). Wail! Sob, sob!

    So have to look for another one asap. I am going to check out one next week. Have you heard of Amazing Junior? It's in Happy Garden..

    What about your tot? Who is taking care of your boy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh? Which one is this that is closing? I read about it in your blog.

      Haven't heard about Amazing Junior and will check it out.

      Mine goes to one in Sri Sentosa/ Taman Kanagapuram.
      Where do you live?
      You oughta go check it out when you can! Then maybe you'll also understand why it's harder for me to find a better place to move my son to.

      Write me at ling67@hotmail.com
      :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Chuff, thanks for your great info shared. I never heard of this Daycare though I have been staying in Taman Desa for 5 years. Where exactly the place is? Do they accept 20 months old baby?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jephrine,

    Thanks for your feedback. It's not easy to find a place you like and the search can be tough. The last I was informed, the class for the youngest one is full and that they now take in 15 mos, previously 18 mos. You can try calling them.

    Which other places have you seen?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've finally found your blog again. I've sent you an email to further discuss in May but looks like you did not receive as I have not gotten your reply. May I know if you are still looking around daycares ard ten desk only?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, so sorry for not replying sooner. Can you send a short email to me so I can track back your previous email?

      Delete
  6. I have checked out ELC, Chrysdale & the daycare in Desa Villa Condo. Since my baby is yet 2 years & most places do not accept like Total Child, 3Q, Qdees. I haved enrolled my baby to the daycare in the Desa Villa starting next week. But this is not gonna be permanent as school ends by 6pm. Too early for working parents like us. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What was it that you like (or don't like) about the daycare centre in Desa Villa? Would be nice to hear it from someone else.
    I get what you mean. Even 7pm to get to the pre-schools/ daycare centres is a rush for working parents, let alone any earlier. Not everyone gets flexi-hours or tag out at 5pm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having less students is definitely my liking to this place. Since it is my baby 1st time joining a daycare, I would prefer him to start with a small group. However, they are not using any Montessori, this will not be my choice for long term. How about you? Haven't gotten a right 1 for your child?

    ReplyDelete
  9. not within taman desa, no. some people i know is looking into starting a pre-school/ daycare but the timeframe is yet to be determined as they want to get things in place.
    if you're in taman desa, we should try to meet up for a playdate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sure. we should meet up to exchange some parenthood info. By the way, my email is jephrine@gmail.com
    Let's keep in touch via email from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am from Sydney and have just moved to your neighbourhood. I am looking for a Montessori school within Taman Desa for my 4 yr old girl. Any suggestion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie, welcome to KL and welcome to the neighborhood. I haven't come across anything I like so far. There's one more place for me to check out next week and it seems promising (by comparison to all the others I've been to). Lemme know if you'd like to go check it out together.
      We can correspond via e-mail.

      Delete
    2. Hi Chuff,

      Is it a Montessori School? Then I would love to go and have a look. I do not plan to put my girl in a non Montessori school because I truly believe in Montessori Education for my girl. In Sydney she was in a Montessori school. I understand the education system here is quite different.


      Delete
    3. Hi Natalie, I had a chance to check out Le Sands this week. It's decent and certainly worth a visit. It's a shame though that because they're so new, you can't meet the teachers. I'm particular about that... That if the teachers speak well and are well mannered. I tried going to your profile but I couldn't find your e-mail address.

      Delete
  12. Hi Chuff
    I like your blog very much. It is really useful for me as a mother who has a 7 months old baby. In fact , I am looking for childcare Centre, so do u have any suggestion? TIA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks! We can discuss more via e-mail. Another mom and I will be meeting up to have a chat about this matter this week. Maybe we can arrange something if you're in Tmn Desa.
      Please write me at ling67@hotmail.com

      Delete
  13. hi chuff,

    sigh... it is so difficult to find a daycare for newborn in taman desa... i mean the right one... it was so 2 yrs ago... and still the same today. i sent my elder daughter all the way to sri petaling. but the center was close down due to some problem... it was a great place... now im sending her to a taska in sri petaling... i tot of changing school for her next year... their food quality is getting worse... sigh... do let keep me update about your new findings yea... but i did saw a new taska opening in taman desa this morning... let me check it out and update everyone yea...
    i can be reach at chewpeng_79@yahoo.com or allisya@sdb.com.my

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I am impressed with how detailed you are in reviewing each centre you visit. Thank you for sharing your perception, as it is very important to understand what parents prioritise when deciding on a place to enrol their children. I am not from Taman Desa but spent much of my schooling days there (I was in the primary and secondary schools there). I live in Seri Kembangan and that's where my mum runs a childcare centre and kindergarten, while I am currently pursuing my PhD in Early Childhood Education in Sydney. Again, thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do not put your kids at Bright Horizon, Taman Desa. My daughter just broke her hand and Ms Wong does not even bother. Her comment is I do not know and speak to my insurance agent.

    ReplyDelete