Saturday, February 2, 2013

Jack & Jill International (near Jalan Gasing)

Mrs. Callie Tan 
+603-7954 5802
+6012-2667 288

Lot 8, Jalan Pantai 9/7, 
Off Jalan Gasing 
46000 Petaling Jaya
-- In Pantai Baptist Church, right next to the Thai temple.
 
I have not come across any other schools that is as organized as this one.
From the first phone call to a few other ones with questions like the fee structure, information about the school, transportation and so on.... I have not been let down.
What also amazes me is how well they do with following up on my queries and concerns.
I was never rushed through, instead was given information and walk-thru even without asking for them. Apart from Vital Years, the principal of this school, Mrs. Callie Tan at my first visit brought me around the school and showed me the classrooms up to 6 years old and also the other rooms.
There is a library where they call the Resource Room, a room for Music and Movement, a huge... very spacious room for the children who join the daycare program to sleep in.
At one end of the corridor is where the indoor play area is.
There is an outdoor play area (photos as attached). It's not particularly huge but it's sufficient. The children spend most of the time in the classrooms anyway so what's also important is the condition of the classrooms and the the quality of the teachers.

The bathrooms are basic. There's no kiddy sized toilets and sinks. Something I thought they could improve on but it's no biggie to me. The toiletries they use is by Pureen and the parents have the option of providing the toiletries that their children are use to.
The kids are brought to the toilet at every half an hour so it's a good thing for those who aren't potty trained yet.

The classrooms are split by age groups. And I'll find out about the minimum age accepted when I'm sure of it. There's a baby's room so they do accept babies... Just not sure how young in age.

Currently, there are 3-4 teachers to about 12 students in the 3 years old class.
The older classes have 25 students in one class with a ratio of 2:25. Too big a classroom if you asked me. Speaking about the classrooms, this is the only place that I've been to which has spacious classrooms and they're not cluttered as most that I've seen. Even the biggest school that I've been to was Kinderland in Taman Desa and their classrooms are very small by comparison.

About the menu, there was nothing specific told to me but knowing that they serve a balance diet meal is good enough for me to know. Better yet, no processed food like sausages, fries and so on.

The principal was never defensive for one bit when I asked about the qualification and background of herself and the teachers (or about anything else for that matter.). She did explain the reason behind the turnaround of her staff, which is for the sake of maintaining the quality of the teachers. I noticed that not all of the teachers speak good English. But from my observation of the teachers in the 3 years old class so far, they do love kids.
Back to talking about the principal, she's really easy to talk to. She's willing to hear your concerns and although she or the school may not have all the solutions and answers to my queries.... As we do have different circumstances, she listens and she gives feedback.

It's easy to see through someone with a passion in what they do and what they believe in. Mrs. Callie Tan the principal sure DOES have that fire going in her.

About timing, for parents who need to drop off their children early, they can do so as early as 7:30am. There's an option for picking up your child late... You know, in case of the horrendous peak hour traffic.... The cut-off time is at 6:45pm and every subsequent half an hour after, a fee of RM10 will be charged. That surely adds up but what other choices do working parents have?
What I wish about the hours is that they'll extend it to at least 7:15pm.
The traffic around the neighborhood itself is horrid on most evenings. 

Timing for pre-school-kindy -
The half day program ends at 11:45am
And then the is a 3:30pm (if I'm not mistaken... There and abouts)
The full day program ends at 6:30pm.
After-school daycare and tuition classes are offered to the primary school students. 

About safety, I was iffy at first as it's a huge place with 1 security guard seen at the drop-off compound. There are actually 2 security guards on duty. And then I thought, this place has been operating for what... over 40 years before the current management had taken over.... They must know what they're doing.
Even the guards report to their H.O.D. Talk about being organized!

You can see the class schedule below (3 years old class). As this is a Christian school, almost all the teachers are Christians and there are prayers with the children every morning and before meals. There are non-Christian families who send their children here too.
Friday mornings are fun.
All the children will congregate at the hall for assembly and they get to sing a few Christian songs accompanied by the piano and then a teacher will tell a Bible story.

Also, every morning as the kids are dropped off, the security guard and a teacher (or two) on duty will receive them to send the children to their respective classes..... but not before they (the chidren) have their temperature checked with a thermometer and a squirt of hand sanitizer to be rubbed on their hands. Good practice, huh? Sets a good example about hygiene too.
At the end of the day while waiting for the parents, the children will hang out in the Resource Room where two teachers will watch the children. It's free play and also storytelling time!
Makes me wanna be in that school.
So I guess that's how I gauge for the right school.
I have to wanna be in that school to enroll my child there.



(More after today.)


























Extra curriculum during the school hols - (no classes during the first half of the day but daycare program will be carried out as usual during the school holidays)







This is new... Speech and drama classes from 3yo onwards on Saturdays.
On another note, below is the holiday camp during the school holidays. Daycare still runs as usual with the option of signing up your child for holiday activities. They cost about RM150 per week on average.

22 comments:

  1. Hi there Chuff,

    May I know if you come across any kindy that uses Fungates system? How do you find it? I am having a hard time choosing kindy for my child, born in 2010 too. Appreciate your effort in uploading the photos and fee structures. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miss Carbohydrate, I have heard good reviews about the Fungates school in Sri Petaling and have spoken to the principal over the phone. Like the principal of J & J, she's super patient and gives really good feedback when asked with questions. Where abouts are you looking at placing your child? I can't recommend enough this school - Jack & Jill International.

      Lot 8, Jalan Pantai 9/7, Off Jalan Gasing 46000 Petaling Jaya

      Contact me at ling67@hotmail.com if you wanna talk more about it.

      Delete
  2. Hi, what ages does J&J take in please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi nonya goddess.... from what i know, babies till 6.
    and they have a before/ after daycare up to 6 years old.
    where are you located, pj?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, do you know what type of teaching concept do J&J use? montessori?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the school's not branded as montessori, however, they have activities for the children which includes training the fine motorskills.

      personally, i'm not hot about schools that boast about practicing the montessori method or say glen doman and then charge a bomb. to me, schools that use those methods and don't brand themselves as that is worth checking out.

      where are you located?

      Delete
  5. Tx Chuff. Im abt 10 mins drive to Jl Gasing. Do you review nurseries in PJ? Heard great things about Nakorn Sari at Sec 17 and plan to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI, not sure if you got my earlier reply. Im at Pantai Dalam.
    Have you heard of Nakorn Sari in Sec 17? Heard good things about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi nyonya goddess, i'm afraid i didn't get your earlier reply.
      i have no experience with the school you mentioned.
      have you checked out jack & jill international?

      Delete
  7. Hi, i attended this kindergarten in the mid-80s and this post of yours brought back many many good memories. It must have, of course changed over the years, but I had an amazing time during my childhood days. I suppose from your post, several things remained constant - great principal (Mrs Ho was my principal back then), caring teachers that genuinely love kids, huge spaces and play area. I would love to consider sending my son when he is old enough, but we dont live close by anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi hwy, i enjoyed reading your comment, it's always nice to get a picture of someone else's point of view. what more from you, who attended the jack & jill before. loving it.

      Delete
  8. Hi there,
    May I knw how much are the school fees, breakdown if preferable. Cud you email to me at tsuichen@gmail.com

    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi tsuichen, can i suggest you get in touch with the callie,the principal of the school? the fess vary from different age groups and i don't wanna give the wrong info to you.

      Delete
  9. Hi Chuff, did you end up sending ur kid to Jack and Jill? If yes, what was their experience like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charis, thanks for dropping by. I have been meaning to post another one on J&J International and that will be put off until I have some time, hopefully soon in December.
      I must have mentioned before that there isn't a school that is perfect. Simply because everybody's expectations are different.
      Briefly, some of the things that we talked about before enrolling my child to J&J were not what it seems. More on this closer to Christmas, I hope.

      Delete
  10. Hi Chuff,

    I'm waiting eagerly for your updated review, as I'm planning to send my 17 month old toddler to school in Jan. J&J enjoyed quite a good reputation when it was managed by the church but now that the management has changed, I heard that there is a high turnover of teachers and I'm wondering about the quality. I was hoping to get a review by a parent who has actually sent a child there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charis,

      From what I have observed, the turnover seems higher for the daycare helpers. Have you heard from anyone else about this school?

      Delete
  11. Hi Chuff, would like to know if you have further updates regarding J&J. Am thinking of enrolling my children there in 2014. Please do share your thoughts. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,

      Sorry, I'm not able to update the post anytime soon because of a busy schedule. Please feel free to share what you have heard so far and why dichu have this school in mind.
      Thanks.

      Delete
  12. I am disappointed with J&J. Initially when they were in the old building they were doing very well. The class teacher or helper will be there to welcome the child and start doing reading with them. Since they have moved to the new building I don't see anything like this going on. The class rooms are very crampy and on top of that the other class will need to walk into another class to use the toilets. There is no play area as well for the kids, no water play and no sand play. It makes it very boring for the kids without outdoor activities. There is also a high turnover of teacher’s. My son’s class less than 3 months they had teacher’s change. It does not allow the child to settle down. Just hope after the June holidays we don’t have any surprises. I really hope they can improve on the above as this is the nearest to my place.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! I'm not sure if this blog is still active but I'm trying my luck here. I'm planning on sending my son to J&J and would like to hear from mummies who has already enrolled your kids there. Let me know your thoughts about the school. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for dropping by. I don't plan to update my blog for the time being as I'm really tied up with work and all. I do respond to the posts. Have you gone to visit the school? Get in touch with me via email ling67@hotmail.com

      Delete