Monday, February 20, 2012

DeBest Kids Childcare, Taman Desa

Giving this place the benefit of the doubt, I went ahead to checkout the place after having a few phone conversations with the principal. She's defensive as hell. To her, it's OK to have salt and sugar in toddlers' food and to that she also said, "Do you think when your kid goes to a party, the cakes and food have no sugar?"

"I don't think a baby or toddler is deprived if they don't get salt and sugar in their food. I also don't know many parents with children below 2 to have sugary and salty food."

"Then your friends are very good lah. Good for them."

"Yeah, because we know what's good and what's not for children be it our own or otherwise?? Is it impossible to remove salt from your cooking in the babies' meals?"

"No, I cannot. The kids won't eat if I don't put salt."

I was told by her that they practice the Glenn Doman teaching, so I was quite sold too and decided to visit the daycare. There are 2 for different age groups. The one I went to was in Danau Permai.
To drop-off and pick-up, you gotta park at the designated visitor's parking and then go through a corridor, take a flight of stairs down and the room is next to a cafe and facing the pool.

There was a lady who looks like she's in her late 20s or early 30s, speaks more Mandarin and Cantonese than English... who's worked there for 5 years now, is the assistant to the principal. Was told the principal gets in in the morning and does the flash cards with the children in a group (yes, in a group, not individually) and the kids will repeat the words after the principal. What's the diff from pointing on the chalkboard or posters? The flash cards are smaller, half the size of the actual Glenn Doman cards. Well, better to have that done than entirely not, I suppose. Meh!

There was another lady, the aunty who cooks and cleans and changes the kids. I was told there are 2 aunties but I saw only one that day. The teacher later told me the other lady was on leave.

Cleanliness:
Overall, clean and tidy. Kitchen is an alright size, also clean. Except the paint on the walls are chipping. Toilets are great, kiddie potties (toilet bowls) and kiddie height sinks in a row.

They haven't got classrooms but 2 bedrooms. 1 for the babies who are put in the playpen to sleep. The other is for the older kids till 3 years of age.

What I absolutely dislike about this place:
- I didn't hear the 2 babies who were in the room crying until I opened the door.
Why wasn't anyone taking precaution and bother to check on the babies?
- There was a 4 month old baby in a bouncer, on the floor. Crying every now and then.
There were the older children, some hyper some not so... all around the place. How dangerous is it to have the baby placed where he was, is questionable.
- One kid, about 2ish, sobbing and sobbing and I comforted him every now and then. The teacher said they can't carry the babies and kids all the time or they will asked to be carried always.
 - Frankly, I can't even say this teacher is able to connect with the children. 

After my visit, I called the principal and told her about my observation. She said, "Of course we will know if the baby is crying for attention or choking... we can't always carry them."

Oi...! If a baby cries, doesn't it mean something's needed? Pain, itch, hunger, frightened, tiredness, etc?
So mad at them. Total negligence not to mention arrogance. Must you lift or carry a child to soothe him/ her? Or can you talk the child into settling down as another way of comforting??
If a parent is into the cry-it-out method, I suppose yeah... let them CIO. But this doesn't agree with my method of attachment parenting. So, no. I will not send my child there for this reason. Neither will I send my child there with a helper-children ratio of 3:20.

About the menu, it's not fancy. Not fancy and complex is good. And they said they serve organic vegetables. How can you be sure that they're organic produce? According to the assistant/ teacher, one is able to tell the difference.
Umm?

The daycare centre in Danau Permai Condo is catered for children between newborn to 3 years old.
Closed for 2 and a half weeks in December and a week for Chinese New Year. Can't remember about the rest of the holidays, best to check.






*Photos of the place will be uploaded at a later time.

No comments:

Post a Comment